In the public interest. This appears to be where the establishment “boys” meet. They include universities Vice chancellors, premiers, minister, judges, corporations, medical and many others. They are the Australian elite.
Note: George Pell was a member. Why would a priest be a member of a gentleman’s club? Or was it because he was the Treasurer of the Vatican?
List of Australian Club members
The following is a list of notable past and present members of the Australian Club.Contents:
- Hon Joseph Palmer Abbott OBE MC, Grazier and politician
- Sir Alexis Albert CMG VRD, Businessman.
- Haynes Gibbes Alleyne, Medical practitioner.
- Hon John Anderson, Deputy Prime Minister of Australia 1999-2005
- Rt Hon Doug Anthony CH AC, Deputy Prime Minister of Australia 1971-1972 & 1975-1983
- Hon Larry Anthony
- Hon Bruce Baird
- Sir Samuel Henry Egerton Barraclough KBE VD, Engineer
- Rt Hon Sir Edmund Barton GCMG QC, First Prime Minister of Australia and a founding justice of the High Court of Australia.
- Rt Hon Sir Garfield Barwick GCMG AK, Attorney-General of Australia (1958–61), Minister for External Affairs (1961–64) and the seventh and longest serving Chief Justice of Australia (1964–81). He was appointed a Privy Counsellor in 1964 and a judge of the International Court of Justice (1973–74)
- Hon Sir Thomas Bavin KCMG, 24th Premier of New South Wales.
- General Sir Phillip Bennett AC, KBE, DSO, KStJ
- Lieutenant General Sir Frank Horton Berryman, KCVO, CB, CBE, DSO.
- Sir John Victor Hall Best, Dentist.
- Douglas Thornley Boyd CMG, Grazier and wool industry leader.
- Lester Joseph Brain (1903–1980) aviator and aviation administrator
- Hon Sir Gerard Brennan KBE AC QC
- John Le Gay Brereton
- Major-General Sir William Throsby Bridges KCB CMG, First Australian appointed to General rank, KIA Gallipoli
- Sir Thomas Buckland, Goldmine-manager, pastoralist, businessman and philanthropist.
- Hon Sir James Burns KCMG, Businessman, shipowner and philanthropist
- Hon Sir William Westbrooke Burton KCMG, Politician and judge.
- John Busby, Surveyor, civil engineer and founder of the Australian wine industry.
- Hon William Busby MLC, Pastoralist and politician.
- Emeritus Professor Alexander Cambitoglou AO FAHA, Founder and Director, Australian Archaeological Institute at Athens
- Robert Campbell, Landowner
- Robert Campbell, Politician
- Major General Ian Campbell, DSO & Bar, Commandant Royal Military College, Duntroon
- William Timothy Cape, Founder Sydney Grammar School
- Hon Sir John Carrick AC KCMG
- Cardinal Edward Idris Cassidy AC
- Sir Jack Cassidy QC
- John Henry Challis, Benefactor University of Sydney
- General Sir Harry Chauvel GCMG, KCB
- Brigadier Sydney Ernest Christian CMG, Soldier
- Stuart Clark, President of the Law Council of Australia
- David S. Clarke AO, Chairman Macquarie Bank.
- Sir Charles Percy Barlee Clubbe KBE, Surgeon
- Hon Terence Cole AO QC
- General The Hon Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC CNZM
- Sir Bob Cotton KCMG AO
- Sir Charles Cowper, KCMG, Premier of NSW
- Sir Norman Lethbridge Cowper
- James Charles Cox (1834–1912) medical practitioner
- Major-General Paul Alfred Cullen AC CBE DSO ED, Soldier and Grazier.
- Sir Arthur Roden Cutler VC, AK, KCMG, KCVO, CBE
- General Sir Peter John Cosgrove AK MC
- William John Dakin, Zoologist
- Lieutenant General Sir Thomas Joseph Daly KBE, CB, DSO
- Rt Hon Sir William Bede Dalley QC, Attorney-General of NSW
- Frederick Matthew Darley GCMG, Chief Justice & lieutenant-governor of New South Wales.
- Sir James Ralph Darling OBE, Headmaster Geelong Grammar School.
- Hon Sir John Bayley Darvall KCMG QC, Attorney-general of NSW
- Hon Sir William Deane AC, KBE, KStJ, QC, Australian judge and 22nd Governor-General of Australia.
- Peter Debnam MP
- Hon Sir George Dibbs KCMG, Three times Premier of NSW
- Rt Hon Sir Owen Dixon OM GCMG KBE, Australian judge and diplomat, was the sixth Chief Justice of Australia.
- Sir Hugh Dixson, Tobacco manufacturer and philanthropist.
- Sir Stuart Donaldson KCMG
- Hon John Dowd AO QC
- Hon Justice Garry Downes AM QC, Judge Federal Court of Australia.
- Sir Harold Robert Dew, Professor of surgery.
- Sir Talbot Duckmanton CBE. Australian broadcaster and General Manager of the Australian Broadcasting Commission
- Sir Walter Gordon Duncan (1885–1963) pastoralist and politician in SA
- Lieutenant General Sir Donald Dunstan AC, KBE, CB (born 18 February 1923) is a former Australian Army officer, who was Governor of South Australia from 1982 to 1991.
- Major General William L’Estrange Eames, CB CBE VD, Medical practitioner and soldier.
- Malcolm Henry Ellis, Journalist and historian,
- F B S Falkiner, Pastoralist and founder of the Haddon Rig Merino Sheep Stud.
- G B S Falkiner, Owner of the Haddon Rig Marino Sheep Stud.
- Hon John Fahey AC, Premier of New South Wales Chairman World Anti-Doping Agency.
- James Fairfax AO
- Sir Warwick Oswald Fairfax
- Charles Brunsdon Fletcher, Editor Sydney Morning Herald (1918–1937)
- Sir Francis Forbes
- Hon Malcolm Fraser CH AC, Prime minister of Australia.
- Hon Sir George Warburton Fuller KCMG, Barrister and politician.
- Sir Hudson Fysh KBE, DFC, Aviator and businessman.
- Rt Hon Sir Harry Gibbs AK GCMG KBE, Chief Justice of Australia
- Hon Murray Gleeson AC, Chief Justice of Australia
- David Gonski AC, businessman and arts patron.
- William Deuchar Gordon, grazier and president of the club.
- Sir Albert John Gould VD, lawyer and politician.
- Sir James Graham, physician and politician
- Hon Justice Peter Graham, Federal court judge.
- Sir Norman McAlister Gregg MC, ophthalmologist who discovered Rubella.
- Hon Justice William Gummow AC, Justice High Court of Australia.
- Jack Hannes Businessman, founder of HANIMEX
- Hon Sir John Hay KCMG
- John Hewson AM
- Hon Dyson Heydon AC
- Rear Admiral David Holthouse, AO
- Sir Samuel Hordern KBE
- Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston AC AFC
- Hon John Howard AC, Prime Minister of Australia (1996–2007)
- Admiral Michael Wyndham Hudson AC
- Hon Tom Hughes AO QC
- Hon Justice Sir Percival Halse Rogers KBE, Judge
- Dr Timothy Hawkes OAM, former Headmaster of The King’s School, Parramatta
- Hon Norman William Kater
- Sir Norman William Kater, Medical practitioner, grazier and politician.
- Air Vice-Marshal John Kindler AO AFC, Air commander
- Sir (George Eccles) Kelso King KBE, Businessman.
- Stephen Lackey Kessell (1897–1979) forester and administrator
- Peter King
- Philip Gidley King (1817-1904) pastoralist and politician.
- Phillip Parker King, Naval officer, hydrographer and company manager.
- David Kirk MBE, Rugby World Cup winning captain of New Zealand and former CEO of John Fairfax
- Rt Hon Sir Frank Kitto AC, KBE, KC
- Frederick Percival Kneeshaw (1883–1955) engineer and company director
- Rt Hon Sir Adrian Knox KCMG QC, Second Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia.
- Vice Admiral David Leach AC, CBE, LVO, Chief of the Naval Staff 1982–85.
- Lieutenant General Peter Leahy AC is a former Chief of the Australian Army.
- George Le Couteur OBE, company director.
- Sir Charles Lloyd Jones, Chairman David Jones Limited
- Hon Jim Longley
- Robert Lowe, 1st Viscount Sherbrooke, British and Australian statesman; served in William Ewart Gladstone‘s cabinet as Chancellor of the exchequer 1868–1873.
- Sir John Isaacs Loewenthal CMG, Military surgeon and academic.
- Hon Hannibal Hawkins Macarthur Australian colonist, politician, businessman and wool pioneer.
- Hon Sir William Macarthur, Pastoralist
- Major-General Sir Denzil Macarthur-Onslow CBE DSO ED
- Major General Hon James Macarthur-Onslow VD Soldier, grazier and politician.
- Professor Sir Mungo William MacCallum KCMG, Educationist, scholar and administrator.
- Sir Alexander MacCormick, KCMG.
- Hugh Mackay
- Sir Charles Mackellar, surgeon and M.P.
- Hon Michael MacKellar
- Alistair Mackerras, AO, Headmaster Sydney Grammar School
- Brigadier-General Henry Normand MacLaurin
- Sir Normand MacLaurin, Physician, company director and university administrator.
- Hon Sir Alexander Macleay MLC FLS FRS, Colonial secretary NSW.
- Sir George Macleay KCMG, Explorer and Politician.
- William Sharp Macleay FRS, Entomologist.
- Sir Herbert Lethington Maitland, Surgeon and sportsman.
- Sir William Montagu Manning KCMG
- Robert Maple-Brown, Founder Maple Brown and Abbott.
- Conrad Martens
- Rear-Admiral Sir David Martin KCMG AO, Governor of NSW
- Hon Sir James Martin KCB QC, Three times Premier of New South Wales, and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
- Sir David Maughan QC, Barrister.
- John McCallum AC, CBE, Actor.
- Samuel McCaughey (1892–1955) grazier
- Derek McIntosh Founder, National Register of Big Trees
- Rev. Fred McKay AC, CMG, OBE, Chaplan Royal Flying Doctor Service.
- Prof. Bruce McKern BE Syd PhD Harv, Academic and business school Dean.
- Rt Hon Sir William McMahon CH GCMG
- Sir Frederick Duncan McMaster, Pastoralist and a founder of the CSIRO.
- Sir William McMillan KCMG, Merchant and politician,
- Hon Roderick Meagher AO QC
- Edward Christopher Merewether, Public servant and company superintendent.
- Francis Lewis Shaw Merewether, Public servant and university chancellor.
- Sir Denison Samuel King Miller KCMG, Banker governor of the Commonwealth Bank.
- Sir Douglas Miller, Neurosurgeon and President of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
- Jim Milner, Former President of the NRMA and Chairman of Washington H. Soul Pattinson
- David Scott Mitchell, Founder of the Mitchell library, Sydney, Australia.
- Thomas Mitchell, Surveyor and explorer of south-eastern Australia.
- Max Moore-Wilton AC
- Hugh Morgan AC
- Sir William Morrow, DSO ED.
- Lieutenant General Sir Leslie James Morshead KCB, KBE, CMG, DSO, ED
- Thomas Sutcliffe Mort
- Allan Moss AO, Former Managing Director/CEO of Macquarie Bank
- Sir Rupert Myers KBE, Vice chancellor, University of NSW.
- Sir Charles Nicholson Bt, Founder of University of Sydney and Australia’s first Baronet
- Lieutenant General Sir John Northcott KCMG KCVO CB
- Richard Edward O’Connor, Foundation Justice of the High Court of Australia
- Hon Edward David Stewart Ogilvie MLC, Pastoralist.
- Arthur Alexander Walton Onslow, Naval officer and politician.
- Sir Alexander Campbell Onslow, Judge.
- Major-General Reverend Coles Alexander Osborne, CIE.
- Rt Hon Sir William Francis Langer Owen KBE, Judge of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and of the High Court of Australia.
- Sir William Owen, Royal commissioner and Chief Judge in Equity of the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
- Sir Langer Meade Loftus Owen CBE QC, Barrister and head of Red Cross
- Hon Clyde Packer
- James Packer
- Kerry Packer AC
- Rt Hon Sir Earle Page GCMG CH
- Banjo Paterson CBE
- Hon Andrew Peacock AC
- Professor Sir John Beverley Peden KCMG, barrister and professor of law
- Cardinal George Pell AC
- Frank Astor Penfold Hyland, Governing director of Penfolds Wines Ltd
- Brigadier Hon Thomas Alfred John Playfair DSO OBE VD MLC, Meat exporter, soldier and politician.
- Sir Claude Plowman, Businessman and Yachtsman – a founder of the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race.
- Sir Hugh Raymond Guy Poate Kt, MVO.
- Sir Ian Potter
- Benjamin Quist , Director of Strategic Marketing and Advertising Agency Zebra Direction
- Tom Raine (1858–1929), Founder of real-estate agents Raine and Horne.
- Rt Hon Sir George Edward Rich KCMG, Justice of High Court of Australia.
- Hon Justice Bernard Blomfield Riley, Federal Court Judge.
- Sir Alfred Roberts KCMG, Surgeon.
- Sir Stephen Henry Roberts CMG, Historian and university vice-chancellor.
- Hon Alan Robertson SC, Federal Court of Australia Judge (2011-2020).
- Joseph Phelps Robinson (1815–1848) banker and landowner
- Hon William Robson MLC, NSW Parliamentarian.
- Christopher Rolleston CMG
- Air Marshal Sir James Rowland AC, KBE, DFC, AFC, Governor of NSW.
- Hon William Rutledge MLC, Attorney General.
- Gordon Samuels, AC, CVO, QC, KStJ,
- Hon Justice Kim Santow AC
- Paul D. Scully-Power AM
- Hon Sir John See KCMG, Premier of New South Wales.
- Sir Nicholas Shehadie, AC, OBE, former Lord Mayor of Sydney (1973–1975) and ex-Captain in the Australia national rugby union team.
- Sir Colin Sinclair KBE
- Rt Hon Ian Sinclair AC.
- Robert Burdett Smith (1837–1895) solicitor and politician
- Hon Warwick Smith AM
- Sir Kenneth William Starr CMG OBE, Surgeon
- Rt Hon Sir Alfred Stephen GCMG CB
- Hon Justice Sir Matthew Henry Stephen, Puisne judge of the supreme court of New South Wales.
- Hon Justice Edward Milner Stephen, Supreme court judge in NSW
- Brigadier-general Robert Campbell Stephen, CB.
- Sir Bertram Stevens KCMG, Premier of New South Wales from 16 May 1932 to 5 August 1939.
- Hon Sir Francis Bathurst Suttor,
- Sir Thomas Peter Anderson Stuart KCMG, Professor of physiology and medical administrator.
- The Hon. Angus Talbot, Former Chairman of Newington College Council
- Sir Edward Deas Thomson KCMG CB
- Robert Towns, Businessman and founder of Townsville.
- Dr Ralph Townsend, Headmaster Winchester College, formerly Oundle and Sydney Grammar School.
- Malcolm Turnbull, MP, former Prime Minister of Australia
- Professor David Tiller AO, FRACP, Former president of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Hon Thomas Waddell, Premier of New South Wales
- Hon Sir Charles Gregory Wade KCMG KC, Premier of New South Wales
- Sir Samuel Robert Walder, (1879–1946), Businessman and politician (Lord Mayor of Sydney)
- William Wilkinson Wardell (1823–1899) architect and civil servant
- Hon William Wentworth, Explorer & Founder University of Sydney
- Morris West AM
- A B Weigall CMG
- Hunter White
- Richard Windeyer KC
- Major-General Rt Hon Sir Victor Windeyer KBE CB DSO KC, Australian judge, soldier and educator, was a Justice of the High Court of Australia
- Sir William Charles Windeyer
- John Woolley
- Hon Mr Justice Edward Wise
- James Wolfensohn AO KBE
- Lieutenant General Sir Eric Woodward KCMG, KCVO, CB, CBE, DSO, Governor of New South Wales from 1 August 1957 to 1 August 1965
Emeritus Professor John Atherton Young AO FAA FRACP, Dean of Medicine and Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences), University of Sydney
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j Mentioned in Australian Dictionary of Biography; see under headword